(Plus, some serious stainless care tips you can’t miss!)
If you’re like most homeowners, you take great pride in keeping your home clean. And if you’re like us, you love keeping your outdoor kitchen even cleaner. After all, it’s the perfect place to entertain guests and family members alike!
Unfortunately, even the best outdoor kitchens can start to lose some of their shine if not properly cared for. After all, they are outside!
Here are just a few ways your outdoor kitchen can get damaged over time:
- Improper kitchen techniques
- Lack of routine cleaning
- Little to no protection against the elements
- Ignoring small issues/lack of maintenance
In this blog post, we’ll discuss how to keep your outdoor kitchen looking brand new for years to come! Let’s get started!
Avoid Damage While Cooking
As we mentioned above, one of the main ways an outdoor kitchen can get damaged is through improper techniques. This is often the case when people are not used to cooking with grills or other outdoor-centric kitchenware.
Here are a few things you should avoid doing in your outdoor kitchen:
- Don’t use harsh chemicals or abrasives on your surfaces, such as oven cleaner. Not only can they cause damage to your kitchen, but they can also be dangerous to you and your family.
- Be careful when placing hot items on your countertops. Use a trivet or place a towel underneath hot pots and pans to avoid damaging the surface.
- Don’t use your countertops as a cutting board. This will dull your knives and scratch up the surface of your counters.
Save the Synergy Outdoor Living DIY granite cleaner to remove grease, dirt, and grime. Your countertops will gleam!
Granite Countertop Care
Having clean, damage-free countertops makes a huge difference in how long your outdoor kitchen will look its best. Although damage can happen, it is very easy to get them fixed up. Of course, repairing damage shouldn’t be our concern, preventing damage should be!
The best way to avoid damaging your countertops is by eliminating any bad habits you may have in the kitchen. While cleaning and maintaining granite is easy work, that doesn’t mean it is super simple. Common practices that work in the rest of the kitchen can lead to damage over time on your granite countertops. Here are some things to remember:
- Don’t put down glasses or bottles without a coaster.
- Always immediately blot up any liquid that could stain if left untouched (i.e., wine)
- Make sure the cleaner you use is trusted by professionals.
There is a lot more to keeping your granite well maintained, but spending the time to avoid damage in the first place will always be the best route!
Learn More > Granite Care Tips
Routine Cleaning is Key
Another important way to keep your outdoor kitchen looking its best is through routine cleaning. Just like the inside of your home, an outdoor kitchen needs to be cleaned regularly.
You should wipe down surfaces after each use, removing any dirt, grime, or food that may be stuck on there. Every couple of weeks, or more often if you use your grills daily like us, you’ll want to give your outdoor kitchen a deeper clean.
Since You’re Here > Tips for Maintaining Your Grill
Stainless Steel Care
Stainless steel is a popular material for outdoor kitchen appliances for a reason. Stainless steel is a durable and easy-to-clean surface, all while being resistant to rust. However, like all materials, stainless steel can be damaged if not properly cared for:
- Wipe all the surfaces down with a damp cloth after cooking to remove any dirt or food that may be on the surface.
- Clean the surface with a mild soap and water solution weekly.
- Polish the surface with a stainless-steel cleaner monthly to help keep the surface looking shiny and new.
- Avoid cutting or using metal utensils on stainless steel, as it can easily cause an unsightly scratch.
Wondering what our go-to stainless steel cleaner is? We trust Bar Keepers Friend Stainless Steel Cleaner & Polish to keep our outdoor kitchens looking their showroom best!
Protection Against the Elements
Another way to keep your outdoor kitchen looking new is by protecting it from the elements. This includes things like sunlight, rain, snow, and wind.
While you can’t control the weather, you can cover any vulnerable surfaces when not in use. This includes grills, tables, and chairs. This will help protect it from sunlight, dirt, dust, and rain.
Ignoring Small Issues/Lack of Maintenance
One of the worst things you can do to your outdoor kitchen is to ignore small issues or lack of maintenance. This includes things like replacing parts, fixing leaks or big spills, and removing grease off the surfaces occasionally. By ignoring these small issues, they can turn into big problems.
Inspect the kitchen regularly for any issues. (Don’t worry if you build with us, we have a great warranty). Of course, if you see any issues fix them as soon as they are found.
Keep Your Outdoor Living Area Looking Beautiful
By following these simple tips, you can keep your outdoor kitchen looking brand new for years to come! Routine cleaning, protection against the elements, and maintaining your grill are all key to keeping your outdoor kitchen looking its best. So, what are you waiting for? Get out there and start enjoying your outdoor kitchen!
No outdoor kitchen to enjoy? That can be fixed! Our team of expert designers at Synergy Outdoor Living can help you build the outdoor kitchen of your dreams! Get started today!